skip to Main Content

Immigration and Legal Resources

We have information here regarding a number or immigration and legal questions. We also offer 1:1 counseling regarding these topics with our in house social worker

Frequently Asked Questions

The passport application is now fully online, with paper applications no longer being accepted. The application for both renewals and first time applicants can be accessed here. Passport Online is a fast and simple way to apply for your passport. If you are an adult renewing your passport with the same information, you normally won’t need to submit any supporting documents. If you are a first time applicant, renewing for a child, or changing the information on your passport, Passport Online will e-mail you a list of documents which you need to submit directly to the Passport Service in Ireland. Please check your email inbox and your spam carefully for any communications from the Passport Service.  When your passport is printed, it will be posted to you directly, along with any supporting documents.  

Passport photos taken from a smartphone or digital camera are legal and sufficient, but selfies cannot be used, and you should not use the zoom function. When taking your photo, ensure that you are standing in front of a blank wall, you are not smiling, and no shadows appear on your face or behind you. Photo guidelines are provided on the Department of Foreign Affairs website. 

You may contact the Irish Consulate with questions about the application process via their US WebChat hub from 9:30-3:30 pm Eastern Time, Monday through Friday. 

Retake the picture with a clear background (White or cream) have a neutral facial expression. Examples of accepted photos can be found on If it still is not accepted, check the photo settings and make sure it is an exact square shape. Selfies are not legal or sufficient.

Go to, click apply for passport, select if passport is for an adult or child. If a first-time applicant click first time applicant if a renewal, click renewal. You need to click on first time applicant if your passport is 15 years out of date. After selection you can click whether your name is the same as on a pervious passport click NO. You will then be asked to select the reason your name is changing. Click what applies to you. Read all of the information on the reason you selected as you may need to provide further documentation.

  Marriage/Civil partnership
  Reverting to birth certificate name
  Proof of usage
  Gender recognition

Then click whether you want a passport or a passport AND a passport card and fill out the details asked for.

We post available apartments on our Facebook page and website everyday – mainly in the Woodlawn, Bronx and Yonkers area. 
Searches by neighborhood, with lots of filtering options. 
Apartment listings by state and city; this service also has apps for iPhone and Android devices. 
Connects people who are looking for roommates; it’s likely that the roommate will be an American, and this is a great way to enhance cultural exchange. 
Mostly offers short-term stays in private apartments, but it also lists monthly rentals. 
Facebook can help you find other intern and trainees looking for roommates. 

To work in the United States, you will need a Social Security card that has your Social Security number. You can find general legal information about Social Security cards by reading our online publication, Social Security Numbers For Non-Citizens. 

There are several ways to get a Social Security card: 

  • The easiest way is to apply for a card as part of the immigration process in your home country before you come to the United States. You can do this when filing an application for an immigrant visa with the U.S. Department of State. For information on how to use this process, read Social Security Numbers And Immigrant Visas. 
  • If you did not get a Social Security card as part of the immigration process, read New Or Replacement Social Security Number Card to find out how to get one in the United States. 
  • If you are lawfully present in the United States and plan to apply for work authorization, you can apply for both work authorization from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and request a Social Security card from Social Security at the same time. For more information on this process, read Apply For Your Social Security Number While Applying Your Work Permit. 

Having a Green Card (officially known as a Permanent Resident Card) allows you to live and work permanently in the United States. The steps you must take to apply for a Green Card will vary depending on your individual situation. 


Lawful Permanent Residents 

You must replace your Green Card if: 

  • Your Green Card is either expired or will expire within the next six months; 
  • Your previous card was lost, stolen, mutilated, or destroyed; 
  • You received your card before you were 14 and you have reached your 14th birthday (unless your card expires before your 16th birthday); 
  • You have been a commuter and are now taking up actual residence in the United States; 
  • You have been a permanent resident residing in the United States and are now taking up commuter status; 
  • Your status has been automatically converted to permanent resident status (this includes special agricultural worker applicants who are converting to permanent resident status); 
  • You have a previous version of the Alien Registration Card (for example, USCIS Form AR-3, Form AR-103 or Form I-151, which are no longer valid to prove your immigration status) and must replace it with a current Green Card; 
  • Your card contains incorrect information; 
  • You have legally changed your name or other biographic information on the card since you last received your card; or 
  • You never received the previous card we issued to you. 

Conditional Permanent Residents 

You must replace your Green Card if: 

  • Your previous card was lost, stolen, mutilated, or destroyed; 
  • Your card contains incorrect information; 
  • You have legally changed your name or other biographic information on the card since you last received your card; or 
  • You never received the previous card we issued to you. 


Conditional Permanent Residents 

You must file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, or Form I-829, Petition by Investor to Remove Conditions on Permanent Resident Status, to request that we remove the conditions on your permanent resident status. You cannot submit Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. 

How to File 

You may file online or by paper. 

File online: 

Create a USCIS online account to file online and: 

  • Submit evidence and pay fees electronically; 
  • Receive case status updates about your case and see complete case history; 
  • Communicate with us securely and directly; and 
  • Respond to requests for evidence. 

If you already have a USCIS online account, simply sign into your account to get started. 

File by paper: 

You must: 

Want status updates about your case? Learn how to create a USCIS online account to stay informed. 

After You File 

Once we receive your Form I-90, you will receive a:   

  • Receipt notice confirming we received your application; 
  • Biometric services notice, if applicable; 
  • Notice to appear for an interview, if required; and 
  • Notice of our decision. 

Forms and Fees 

Emergency/General Legal Information 

CIEE Emergency 1617-646-7300/1888-COUNCIL 

CIEE/ USIT Health Insurance 888-268-6245 

Interexchange 917-373-0994 

Interexhange/ SAYIT Health Insurance : White Horse Administration Services Limited, +44 1733 224 892, 

Consulate General of Ireland, 345 Park Avenue, NY 10154 17th floor (51st Street), 212-319-2556 

You are automatically an Irish citizen if one of your parents was an Irish citizen who was born in Ireland. 

You can become an Irish citizen if one of your grandparents was born in Ireland, or you can become an Irish citizen (through great grandparent) if one of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth but was not born in Ireland. If you’re eligible, you can register your birth on the Foreign Births Register. Follow the link to Passports/Citizenship – Foreign Birth Registration 

There are no longer paper applications to apply for Irish citizenship, as it is now an online process. 

Irish citizens who hold a valid machine readable passport and who have acquired Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) approval may be eligible for the Visa Waiver Program. The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables citizens of participating countries to travel to the U.S. for tourism, business or transiting the U.S. for 90 days or less without obtaining a U.S. visa if they meet certain conditions. For more information about the VWP and ESTA, and the requirements for these, please visit the website of the US Embassy in Dublin. 

Before you can file your tax return you will need to obtain a W-2 from your Host Company. US Employers are required to post these to all employees no later than 31 January every year, so you should receive this by mid-February. Make sure that your Host Company has your correct address. The 1040NR-EZ is the legal form you must complete for your federal taxes. You will also need to obtain your W-2 form from your employer at the end of the year. If you paid any State or Local taxes, you will need to get any State / Local tax forms that are applicable to you – these can often be obtained via the web or through local government offices in your area of the US. 

You can obtain all Federal tax forms from the IRS web site: You may also obtain the federal tax form from the American Embassy outside of the U.S. To obtain State tax forms, look in the blue pages of any local telephone book in the U.S. to find your state tax office address. Local libraries, post offices and town/city halls also may have state, federal and local tax forms. 

Types of Visas

The J-1 Summer Work Travel visa allows third level students to travel to the US during their summer vacation and work for up to four months in seasonal summer jobs. After finishing work participants are allowed to stay in the US for up to 30 days as a tourist to travel the country.  

The program is open to Irish Citizens only, currently enrolled in and actively pursuing a degree or students that graduated no more than 12 months prior to date of intended arrival in the US. 

Participants do not have to have an internship pre-arranged before arrival in the US and are eligible to engage in a paid internship, in their field of study, for one year. 

However, you must have an approved internship within 2 months of commencement of your program. The visa will be issued for 12 months and you can come into the US up to 30 days prior – and leave up to 30 days after that period. 

Eligible program participants on the Trainee program have a degree or professional certificate from a foreign post-secondary academic institution and at least one year of prior related work experience in his or her occupational field outside the United States; or 
Have five years of work experience outside the United States in the occupational field in which they are seeking training. The primary component of the J1 Trainee Program will be a structured and guided work-based learning program as set forth in an individualized Training/Internship Placement Plan (T/IPP). The J-1 Trainee Visa shall be issued for the maximum duration of 18 months Training programs must be in place in advance of a participant arriving in the US. 

The J-1 Intern Visa is open to students who are currently enrolled in and actively pursuing a degree from an accredited post-secondary institution or students that graduated no more than 12 months prior to intended arrival in the US. 

Students are eligible to engage in a paid internship, in their field of study, for one year. Students must have their internship pre-arranged in advance of visa issuance. 

Enjoy the outdoors, meet new people, teach activities you love to do, and learn all about a new culture. 

Need to be connected to Legal Resources?

We have a list of local international lawyers that can help. Please call 914-237-5121 to be connected to these local resources.

Back To Top